In Roll Back The Years, Edward Moogk (National Library of Canada, 1975) p.62 mentioned:

"There was no letup in the flood of new companies during 1917, and Toronto continued as the phonograph distribution capital.  That year marked the debut in Canada of one of the great names in the industry.  The Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company of Canada Limited opened a large factory and introduced the Brunswick phonograph ("not as an interesting mechanical achievement, but as a musical instrument") at the Canadian National Exhibition in its "All Phonographs in One" exhibit, where a million visitors were reported to have looked over the new entry.  Although most of its plant was geared to manufacturing phonographs, the company announced that records would soon be on the way.  Brunswick's first distributor was the Musical Merchandise Sales Co. at 80 York Street." 

(the following is image is from page 63)

This machine was for sale at an outdoor antique show May 2009, southern Ontario (photos by KW):

On the Brantola page Betty Pratt noted the following for 'Frank Stanley': "
Wayne Kelly's book, Downright Upright, p. 120 says that Stanley took over the Cecilian Piano Co. in 1922, but then went out of business two years later when Mason & Risch bought out their stock.  I have an address for Stanley Piano factory at 121-135 De Grassi St., and store at 14 Temperance St., Toronto on an illustrated pamphlet.  Another letterhead from Frank Stanley Oct. 1920, says they are agents for Brunswick Phonographs and Records at 241 Yonge St. "

Betty Minaker-Pratt contributes the following:

Arthur Zimmerman and I visited Archives of Ontario (AO), Companies Branch, Provincial Secretary where we found the first mention of Brunswick head office at 70 King St. west, licensed to operate in Ontario from the company in Cincinnati, Dec. 1906.  Attached is the letterhead showing their start making billiard tables, bowling alley equipment, bar fixtures, Feb 15, 1909 (AO, Companies Branch, BP, AZ).  [detail]

TDS (Toronto Daily Star) March 23, 1918, p.12, the Stanley Brunswick ad above is among the first illustrated for their uprights.


Regarding Brunswick, Balke, Collender, and their first production in Toronto by Sept. 1916 (all courtesy BP):

CMTJ (Canadian Music Trades Journal), Aug. 1916, p. 95 (Tor. Ref.) - "The Brunswick Balke Collender Co., Toronto ...are bringing out a line of talking machines. These are already being manufactured by the Chicago Factory."

CMTJ, Sept. 1916, p. 75 - "A couple of types of the Brunswick phonograph are now on display at the showrooms of the Brunswick Balke Collender Co. Toronto. These are the production of their own factory at Toronto, the cabinets being in mahogany."

London Free Press newspaper (AO), Nov. 1, 1919, stated that "Woodstock Lands a Big Factory. The Canadian Products Company is manufacturing for Brunswick, in Woodstock as well as Toronto. "

Betty Pratt's snapshots of the present Brunswick building with Brunswick painted on the brick on the north facade. The location is Hanna Ave, Dufferin and King area, and the current building is occupied by the restaurant, The Academy of Spherical Arts. Here they have a collection of antique billiard tables.

The south side of the building also has words on the wall, as you saw in the letterhead of Feb. 15, 1909.


Photo (Collection of Bill & Betty Pratt) shows the interior of what we expect to be the Brunswick factory. This supposition is based on the cabinets which have the legs and carving similar to the Ultona. The only other clues that it is definitely Canadian, are the boy's Magic Baking Powder cap, and the Pequegnat clock on the wall.  The window arrangement also matches the present building seen from the south. Although new windows are minus the small window panes, we can see the arrangement of 4 sections on the south, and 3 on the east wall.


CMTJ, March 1918 - An announcement is made that Burdick (Burt) Trestrail, W.B. Puckett, and John E. White will establish the Musical Merchandise Sales Co. to distribute Brunswick phonographs in Canada. They are located in the Excelsior Life Bldg., at the corner of Adelaide and Toronto Streets (courtesy BP).


TDS, Thurs, June 3, 1920, p. 4 -
Buy the Bride a Brunswick, lists dealers used by the Musical Merchandise Sales Co., located at 819 Yonge St. The Bloor St. Brunswick Shop of Standfield MacPherson, 499 Bloor W. was one of their dealers (courtesy BP).

A Brunswick pamphlet (collection of Bill & Betty Pratt), Ultona,  patented Sept. 18 1917, pp 1-2, Made in Canada.

Another Brunswick pamphlet (collection of B. & B. Pratt), Ultona, and about 14 other models shown on 2 sides. Made in Canada, distributed by The Musical Merchandise Sales Co, Offices, 79 Wellington St. W. Toronto.


Original ephemera (collection of B. & B. Pratt) dated May 2, 1919, from The Brunswick Balke Collender Co. of Canada Ltd, Toronto.
Read This Notice (contents of a packing case for a phonograph).


Original ephemera (collection of B. & B. Pratt), Dec. 6, 1925, Programme at Marlborough Hotel, Winnipeg, Introducing the Brunswick Panatrope.
Musical programme listing Brunswick, Columbia, and Victor records.