From "Portable Pastimes" by
Betty Minaker Pratt and Bill Pratt
in Antique Phonograph News Nov-Dec 2007 (http://capsnews.org/apn2007-6.htm#stewart
In 1893, John K. Stewart and
Thomas Clark started manufacturing drive-shafts,
sheep shears, horse clippers, and bicycle
handle-bars in Chicago. Then they expanded to
speedometers for Model T Fords. They bought the
Warner company in 1912, and by 1916 Stewart, who
loved music, had established a phonograph factory
in Chicago. A trademark was filed for the Stewart
Phonograph Corp at 2827 N. Lincoln St., Chicago,
Il., November, 1916 (R. J. Wakeman).
Stewarts were manufactured in Toronto as
well as in Chicago. A corporate file at the
Ontario Provincial Companies Branch indicates
there was a separate Canadian company established
in Ontario. The pamphlet included with this
Stewart shows a Toronto address, probably for the
showrooms at 1110 Temple Building, erected in 1896
at Richmond and Bay Street, one of the first large
skyscrapers built for the Independent Order of
Foresters. There are ads for Stewart in Eatonís
catalogues of 1919, 1920, and 1921. Another ad
appeared in the Toronto Daily Star, May 10, 1920
showing an asking price of $15.00.
The 1920 Might's City Directory shows Stewart Phonographs as distributors, on Pape Ave. Theodore Vatcher was manager at Pape Ave. in 1922, and Earl M. Jones, manager in 1923. "During these years the firm used the premises of W. H. Banfield & Sons Ltd., manufacturers of lighting fixtures and phonograph motors, 370-386 Pape Ave." (Letter from Toronto City Clerk answering George Wonch, Aug. 30, 1966; courtesy Horst Weggler).
The Globe, Sept. 1, 1920, p. 11 stated that Banfield purchased an entire plant from the U.S. and moved it to Toronto. In 1916, during WWI, Banfield made fuses and munitions, and by 1929 they consolidated three electrical equipment companies making switches, outlet boxes, and wiring (Toronto Star, March 20, 1929, p. 13).
The company later became Stewart-Warner and continued to make televisions, radios, and speakers. Stewart-Warner speedometers were also sold in Toronto (265 Church St.) and across Canada [Pamphlet in the authorsí collection].
Labelled "Stewart Phonograph Corp. Ltd Toronto Canada" this is a mahogany-lithographed tin-plate model with a carrying case. On top were nickel trimmings. It has a single-spring motor, a 10-inch turntable and can play two records with one winding. The reproducer pivots forward to play vertical-cut discs. Mike Bryan believes the mahogany case was typical of those made in Toronto, whereas the green or cream probably came from Chicago. Domenic Dibernardo has a gold-coloured case.
The Windsor Main Spring
catalogue lists a spring suitable for Stewart at
1 x 0.025 inches x 9 feet, with pear-shaped
holes at 50 cents.
Betty found this Banfield letter head in 2014 (courtesy Bill and Betty Pratt collection):
Cheryl Wright found the following photo of 370 Pape ("Pope"[sic]) circa 1917 at
Text from http://newspaperarchive.com/ca/manitoba/winnipeg/winnipeg-free-press/1920/03-22/page-6
Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 22, 1920, Winnipeg, Manitoba
An Incomparable Entertainer Brings the fun and fascination of the newest dance magic into Canadian homes this year
"Presto", December 16, 1922 pg. 21:
Banfield seems to have gone on to produce parts and even other machines themselves. A separate CAPP entry will be made for Banfield's other phonograph products such as "Alethophonic" (of which there is an example in The Musee des Ondes Emile Berliner in Montreal) and "The Golden Throated International".
There is a Canadian patent from 1921 under the name "Harry Sommerville Banfield" (H.S. from the letter head?) which has a drawing that looks like the Stewart.
"Ottawa Citizen" July 22, 1920 pg. 13:
Eaton Catalog 1926:
"Morning Leader" May 22, 1920:
Two machines from the collection of Domenic Di Bernardo (pics by Cheryl Wright)--one the usual fake wood finish, the other in gold: